I Took a 'Mental Detox' - here's what happened.

How do you know it's time to reset? When stress isn't just stress anymore? When you just don't want to do anything anymore? When you want to feel like yourself again?

Let me start by saying 

1. I love my life, and
2. I love the work I do as a fitness coach

So I knew something had to give when the daily tasks on my list to continue moving forward were becoming a burden more than a happy habit. My creative juices were becoming more like a dribble every day, I started overlooking messages and emails, and as you may have noticed, I was writing less;the things I loved most starting to drop lower and lower on my list of priorities. No bueno.

I was getting tired of the expectation and stress and being a mom and running my own virtual business and being a mentor while also cooking, cleaning, working out, playing with Abe, and trying to not lose my shit. I just didn't want to do anything. I'm used to a long to-do list and pressure, but all of it condensed and weighing on me was making me crumble so I put an end to it. 

Not entirely of course, because again

1. I love my life, and
2. I love the work I do as a fitness coach

but you cannot pour from an empty cup, so here's what I did to detox my mind and recenter...

1. I stopped caring about my macros.
In the last 5 days, I've eaten cake 4 times. A beautiful cake that I made from scratch for my hubby's birthday. Lemon cake with blackberry compote and lemon whipped frosting, to be exact. I drank a few glasses of pop. I had candy. I had cheesecake, and we ate out several times when the in-laws were visiting. It was GLORIOUS.

2. I didn't workout.
Okay, I did a few times - I mean, I'm a fitness coach. But they were short, basic workouts because I genuinely enjoy exercise. This week, I wasn't worried about the 'bikini body.' I did what felt good for my body, and my mind.

3. I put the phone down.
Running online fitness boot camps make it kiiiinda difficult to not be on my phone, but this week, I did bare minimum. I didn't post my meals(because of #1 mostly, I mean come on) I didn't post about our adventures or playing, I just LIVED. Check ins with my girls and responding to a few messages was the max.

4. I stopped caring about expectations.
For one glorious week, I didn't care about what I should be doing. I didn't think about the emails and messages piling up, I didn't think about my posts, I didn't think about anything but me, and my family, and having fun. We got into the pool and had treats and ate like piggies and enjoyed each other's company, for one whole week.

Everyday I woke up feeling more and more like myself again. It was like my cup was filling back up and it gave me what I needed to pour myself back into the things I love most - my boys, my work, and the life we've created, and it gave me time to reflect on what I can do better to keep it this way. Starting with yoga. I missed yoga! Why did I ever stop?? And eating less meat - I always feel so much more vivacious with less meat but it's become more convenient because of the boys, I just kind of let it go. But again, these are the things that keep my cup full. The things I enjoy doing just for me. Not for my challengers, not for the boys, not for anyone else - just me, so I can keep doing the things I do for my challengers and my boys and everyone else! I'm not worried about everything being 100% perfect right away, or being the absolute best right off the bat, I'm enjoying the ride and taking things one day at a time. 

I'm coming into a new week with a few hours of yoga logged in my tracker(I've definitely lost some of my mojo) one day 90% meat free, and a smile on my face. I've got new goals, new agendas, and more people to re-shape! Yeah, I'm paying for that week of extra treats 🙊 and I've been missing my girls, but now I'm back full force with a full heart, and I'm ready to go 💪 !

It was unexpected and not welcomed at first, but this mental detox was exactly what I needed to be the best me. What are the things you do for YOU to keep your cup full??



Comments

  1. Mental detox is something we must need to do at regular intervals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree, it makes up stop and evaluate what's really important!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Confidence in an Insecure World

Shifting Your Mindset

Making Fitness EASY