How to be More Disciplined When You Have NO Self Control



I've always loved the idea of not being what people expected me to be.
Statistics showed that me, an overweight, depressed, lonely 8th grader with a 'troubled childhood,' would likely drop out of school, probably get hooked on drugs, and do nothing with my life.

HA. 

Back then I will admit, I had no self control or discipline. I ate whatever I wanted because I wanted to, and I didn't stop until I made myself sick because it was just so good. So how did that chubby(okay, fat) girl blossom into work from home biz owner happily married mom? Mind control.

Kind of. Really, it's just tricking your brain into being productive. It works like this - say you've got something you want to change, like, lose 80 pounds(HALLELUJAH) for instance, but you can't stop eating. You can't just BREAK a habit, that's why it's called a habit - you're used to it. But you can trick yourself, just like this...

Pick your goal. This might hurt a little, but I want you to imagine the absolute worst case scenario if you DON'T change, if your goal is never met. I know, OUCH, but this should almost move you to tears. It's gotta be a real, strong, emotional connection. 
Okay, got those feelings in your brain? GOOD. Keep 'em there. 

Now I want you to picture the absolute best case scenario if you hit that goal. We're talking all out, highest of the high, party like it's 1999, best. thing. ever. Again, move you to tears kind of emotion here. 
Now keep it in your brain.


Here's where it kicks in - every time you feel like skimping out on what you gotta do, when you're lacking the discipline, when you wanna give up, THINK OF THE WORST CASE SCENARIO. Sit there and take those emotions in. Really think about it. Imagine yourself living that worst case scenario. Stings, doesn't it? Stings enough to make you get your ass back in gear.

On the flip side, when you're doing something that is moving you toward your goal, stop for a minute and remind yourself of your BEST CASE SCENARIO. Remind yourself why you're doing this, and get back in gear! (with a smile, of course)

Repeat this over and over again, as often as necessary, and yeah, I STILL USE THIS. Success is deeply rooted in emotion, so having these emotional images and ties to a goal are what kept my head in the game when I didn't want it to be there, and I use it to continue to grow and build! 

Do you have a goal you've been struggling to reach? Comment below and let us know! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Confidence in an Insecure World

Shifting Your Mindset

Making Fitness EASY